Fillmore / Lower Fillmore Neighborhood Association
Minutes – General Meeting – June 23, 2011
1) Action Items
(a) Upcoming Mayor’s Debate: Confirm possible locations for August 11th or 18th at Yoshi’s, Rassales Jazz Club, West Bay Conference Center or African American Arts & Culture Complex.
(b) Fillmore Voter Registration Drive & Get Out the Vote! Set up voter registration tables at community events in Fillmore / Western Addition. Set up collaboration with local community based organizations to implement innovated voter registration activities.
(c) Mini Park Block Party & Street Vending! Start small by people who live around and enjoy the park. Excellent and creative way to build membership for the neighborhood association.
(d) National Night Out: An existing annual event on August 2nd normally at Hayes Valley Playground, but this year at Ella Hill Hutch. The neighborhood association will help to promote this event as well as set up a table to inform residents about the association and build membership.
(e) Next general meeting will be Thursday, July 21st, 2011 from 6pm-8:00pm at West Bay Conference Center.
2) Meeting Notes
(a) Organizational Structure:
- Select and confirm 2 more interim board members, for a total of five. Conduct elections for 2 more board members in 3 to 5 months after bylaws are finalized. Transition from founding member to fully elected board member in about a year.
- Seal envelope to mail Articles of Incorporation with $30 registration fee at next general meeting (07/21/11).
- Work in association with other neighborhood associations.
- Start small; some people leave new people come.
- Use Neighborhood Empowerment Network for assistance in establishing association as a tax exempt entity.
- Hayes Valley Neighb. Assoc. use safety issues to get off the ground. In there neighborhood there was no hope but a resiliency.
- There are a lot of public safety, quality of life and other issues in the community but membership is needed to tackle the issues.
- Engage in another way, use outside of box membership drive like a Block Party, promote and table at National Night Out.
- Engage young people because there is not a lot of activities for young people and this can give them platform economic and social development. Mo’ MAGIC had a great youth dance model, check to see when there next one
- Get older people involved. Some seniors are afraid to go outside or even a block from their house to enjoy a jazz or blues event.
- Walked today and heard gunshots, no one is exempt from dangers.
- What is cost of not coming together?
- Diverse community but everyone not on same page.
- Small group can do a lot as the organization grows.
(c) Mayor’s Debate
- What better way to work toward building a political voice for the community then to work to get more residents civically engaged around upcoming election?
- Everyone at the table. There are many issues including, Budget Issue, Rec and Park, area went through SFRA, King-Garvey Coop scheduled to be paid off and become self sufficient, Prez. Bush started initiatives to get out of public housing, fight to remain in control of our destiny, isolation, Self sufficiency, every district is different.
- Next Mayor may appoint the next Supervisor which gets advantage in upcoming D-5 Supervisor election.
- Mayor’s candidates want to see numbers.
- Agenda tight / facilitated well.
- Use a list of prepared questions in structured format and allow attendees to submit questions on flash cars.
- Carl Williams made statement Block-by-Block, Neighborhoods by Neighborhood.
- Who to invite? Invite Mayor’s candidates that are currently or have made an impact on the Fillmore.
- Every Event should have voter registration forms
- Reached out to African American Democratic Club who represents the whole city, not Western Addition.
- Ensure all issues put on table
(d) Junteenth Committee (discussion item not on agenda)
- Great event and a few fights should not take away from that.
- Hip Hop music, what is impact on community and youth.
- Need help / Neighborhood Group help plan for next year.
- Vallie can help facilitate bringing people together around safety.
- Up to date / Bringing in young people and have youth on committee as well as more family activities.
- Gil Scott Heron should have been incorporated.
- Hip Hop generation, Gangster Rap, Learn about and create more diversity of Hip Hop.
- Young people doing what they want
- Do not alienate youth, integrate young and old, mix acts Blues, then Hip Hop, then Jazz, Latin, etc. etc.
- Hip Hop Stage isolated from June tenth
- Nothing for young people to do.
- Explain to young people what Juneteenth represents